Friday, October 23, 2009

The First Week in LA

Well, after a somewhat progressive first weekend, the first week didn't quite catch on. Even with days of rest, an open interview, a meeting with a talent manager, and many hours searching and applying for jobs online, not much has transpired. And with it being Friday today, most places of business generally do not contact potential candidates for jobs, which means the weekend can only be used for more internet hounding and submitting for jobs with hopes of many phone calls and emails on Monday to get the ball rolling.

THE IMPORTANT STUFF

Tuesday was supposed to be a busy day. Originally my meeting with a talent manager, Frederick Levy, was to commence. However, it was postponed to Wednesday, which did open up the afternoon for the open interview at Saddle Ranch Chop House on the Universal CityWalk. The open interview was a big cattle call, no pun intended, from 2-4pm of those who felt they were right for any of the front of house staff positions. Of course, a lot of people felt they were right for the positions and showed up 30 minutes before me creating a long line of hopefuls. Not seeing how they would interview us all in 2 hours, I waited in hopes that they would still see me somehow. Towards the end of the interview time, the process was sped up with them bringing us in groups to hand our resumes to the manager. With a quick glance at my resume, I was told along with everyone else that they would review our resumes and get back to us. Still trying to obtain a job, I ventured to the Hard Rock Cafe also located in that area to find out they were not hiring servers at that time, but they have my application and resume at least for future openings. With nothing to do for a few hours before meeting up with an acquaintance, I set out to locate Mr. Levy's office which wasn't too far from where I was at so I would have plenty of time the next day and not be late in getting there. Good thing because I had just a bit of trouble finding it initially. My excursion led me afterwards to the Burbank Mall. It was a pretty cool place with a lot of cool stores abroad, including the local IKEA store. Saving IKEA for another day with more time, I passed by to aimlessly walk around. Hours later, I discovered my plans for the day were postponed once more due to my acquaintance having to work late.

Wednesday was the big day! Readying myself for a big meeting with Mr. Levy, I managed all the prep I could to ensure I looked my best and was practiced up with monologues, a commercial, and songs for in case he asked to see me perform. Of course, once on the road and while stuck in traffic, I checked my email on my iPhone and found out that the meeting was pushed back from 2:30pm to 5:00pm. With time on my hands and already headed that way, I proceeded to the Burbank Mall not far from his office and had my first IKEA experience. Having been familiar with IKEA through magazines and the internet, I of course already knew I would come across many, many things of interest. With my own place coming in the near future, furniture will be in need. Finding a lot of great deals on various items and having eaten some Swedish Meatballs and mashed potatoes at their cafeteria, my IKEA experience came to a close. After a little more time wasting, I was off to my meeting. Surprisingly I didn't feel too anxious or nervous, which is odd for me, except for just wanting to make a good second impression. The meeting didn't last too long and was pretty much an iteration of things he had already told me with some casual conversation thrown in. I will admit, I secretly hoped he would ask me to audition for him again there to see if there was any spark he got from me in person rather than through a video online, and then also secretly hoped I'd be offered a contract, but I had entered knowing that was very unlikely in the first place so as not to get my hopes up. He did provide me with a large list with a few of his suggested acting classes and coaches that I should try working with to help perfect my craft. Once I feel more confident, he asked that I do contact him for an audition to see if he feels I am ready for the big leagues. On to Koreatown to meet my acquaintance, I got involved in traffic because it was time for everyone to get off work and go home. It wasn't too bad, except for the fact that it ran into the back of a lady's BMW. In the stop and go traffic on the back roads, the lady in her BMW had to quickly stop due to the car in front of her doing the same while I had just looked away for a second to check my map to ensure my direction. Slamming on my breaks I still proceeded to hit her. Somehow, the only damage caused was the smallest of dents that size of a bolt's head in her bumper. We both were alright physically and she felt the minor ding could be fixed by her husband. In shock of how my luck had picked up, I got back in my car and continued on. After a brief hang out at my acquaintance's house, I set out back to the apartment. With a pitstop at Ralph's for a few things, my eventful day ended with some dinner and getting to watch one of my favorite shows, Glee, which always cheers me up!




Both Monday and Thursday, were uneventful except for searching the net for jobs at the apartment. Due to driving an SUV and gas being around $3.00 per gallon, not to mention not having a job, I tend to limit my outings whenever possible to conserve what little I have for now. I did, however, find out via voicemail that this year's Lakers games are booked as far as singing the National Anthem goes, but I could still submit my audition video or tape for them to review and then be put on next year's schedule. My hopes of instant fame going that route got put to a halt for another year. But hey, maybe they'll have a cancelation and want to use me as a fill-in once I send off my submission. Just trying to keep the hope alive!

So, with a first week of firsts, it comes to a close. Even with my firsts not all being positive or having the outcome I had hoped, I still have a place to stay, some food to eat, gas in my car, and a bit of cash to hold me over a little longer. Things could be much worse, so I'm counting the things I can be thankful for.

What's next, I have no idea, but I'm holding on for dear life to see just what does unfold for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment